Not all light-up strips are the same—and that’s especially true with these Amber models. Read on for advice on which model to use where.
Best spots for the Amber Lit
The Amber Lit gets its power from a rechargeable, detachable battery, which is an important influencer on location choice.
- Because the battery compartment detaches from the light-up strip for charging, it’s not necessary to hang the Amber lit near an electric wall outlet—which opens up lots of possibilities for where you can shed light on things.
- Battery power can’t travel as far as electrical power can, so the Lit is the shortest of our Amber light-up strips. (It’s available in lengths of 3, 6, and 9 feet.) While the Lit may not be the best Amber to lighting up a ballroom, its shorter length means it is perfect for tight spaces such as cabinetry and closets.
- To preserve battery power, the Lit light-up strip has motion-sensor technology and will automatically shut off if movement is not detected in a space for a certain amount of time. (You’ve got several options on how long that it; more info here.) What that means for placement: You’ll only want to hang the Lit in places where there will be movement when you want it to stay on. (Don’t hang it in your reading nook!)
Here are some great spots to light up with the Lit:
- Along stairways
- Down corridors or hallways
- Inside drawers or cabinets
- In closets or pantries
- Underneath beds or other furnishings--for an ambient up-lighting effect
- In half bathrooms or powder rooms
- To illuminate car trunks
- In vans or motorhomes
- In small attic spaces or crawl spaces
- In garages and sheds
- As a motion-activated nightlight
Best spots for the Amber Flow and Volt
They’re also more complex in terms of colors, flashing patterns, and customization—so they’re not only good for functional lighting but can also give a kaleidoscopic energy to spaces where there will be soirees.
With those things in mind, both the Flow and Volt suit the following spaces well:
- Party venues—large or small
- Kids’ bedrooms or playrooms
- Dining rooms
- Living rooms and dens
- Teen rooms and dorm rooms
- Bar areas or game rooms
- Behind TVs or computer screens--for back-lighting
The Volt has some additional features that make it especially great for certain spaces. Here are the details:
- The Volt offers the ability to sync the flashing of the lights to sounds in the room and/or the beat of music—so hang the Amber Volt anywhere there will be a dance floor. (Or a makeshift one in a teen’s bedroom.)
- The Volt light-up strip can be connected to and controlled through the Amber by Jetson app, as well as voice-controlled smart devices. That makes it perfect for use in aspirational smart homes. (Download the Amber by Jetson app onto iPhones via the App Store and onto Androids via Google Play).
- This Amber model has fancier RGBIC technology, which makes it possible to create any (any!) color and makes it possible to illuminate the strip in multiple colors at the same time. For spaces that need a little something “extra”—or where color-matching would be rad (logos, school colors, etc.)--the Volt is the Amber to hang.
Helpful hanging and placement tips for all Amber Light-Up Strips
- Stick to covered or indoor spaces. Not all Amber parts are splash-proof, and we don’t want bad weather to rain on your lighting parade by causing the lights to malfunction.
- Amber Light-Up strips adhere best to smooth, durable surfaces such as painted walls or sealed wood. Do not hang your strips on surfaces that are rough, oily, or glossy.
- Always clean the hanging surface before positioning the strips. Remove dust, dirt, and debris that could inhibit the adhesive’s ability to stick.
- Consider climate. Stick to climate-controlled spaces and/or avoid hanging in areas that are consistently hot, humid, or wet, which can lessen the effectiveness of the adhesive.