Once they catch on to the joy of scootering, kids want to bring their scooters anywhere and everywhere. That’s why we make so many of our kick scooters foldable: So they can easily be stashed into school cubbies, carried onto subway trains, and packed into the truck of a car alongside suitcases and souvenirs.
Read on for more info on which Jetson kick scooters can be folded—and how to do it.
Category A: “Collar” folding mechanisms
The following Jetson kick-scooter have collars wrapped around the base of the handlebar stem. Depending on the model, that collar needs to either be pushed upward on the stem of the scooter or pushed downward in order to “unlock” the folding mechanism. These Jetsons have collar folding mechanisms:
- Jupiter Mini and the Disney Cars, Grogu, and Princess scooters – Scooter is marked with an arrow indicating if the collar mechanism needs to be moved up or down.
- Twin – Pull the collar up.
- Spot –First, lift the seat up so that it folds into the handlebar stem. Then spin the seat around the stem so that it’s on the front of the scooter. Then continue the folding process as detailed above, pulling the collar upwards to get started.
To fold: “Unlock” the folding mechanism by raising/lowering the collar, then use the other hand to gently lower the handlebar down towards the rear of the scooter deck. Release the collar and bring the handlebar down fully, until it “clicks” into the folded position.
To unfold: Raise or lower the collar on the handlebar stem, then gently lift the handlebars away from the deck and into riding position until it “clicks” into place.
Category B: Button-controlled folding
The Saturn has a button on the underside of the deck, just below the handlebar stem.
To fold: While pushing the button, begin to lower the handlebar down towards the rear of the scooter deck. Release the button and continue lowering until the scooter “locks” into the folded position.
To unfold: Press the button and raise the handlebar back into riding position until it “clicks” into place.
Category C: Release levers
These scooters have folding release levers at the base of the handlebar stem—just above the deck. The lever is locked into place (for safety while riding) with a latch and loosening knob.
- Frozen 2
- Helio X
- Helix (does it click into folded?)
- Hex (Same for all)
- Jupiter and Jupiter Jumbo
- Triton (Note: On this model, the release lever is located on the front side of the stem.)
To fold: Open the side latch and twist the knob to loosen. Pull up on the release lever and gently lower the handlebar down towards the deck until the handlebar “clicks” into the folded position.
To unfold: With the latch already unlocked and the knob loosened, pull up on the release lever and gently raise the handlebar upwards and into riding position until it “clicks” into place. Tighten the knob and close the latch. (Important: Do not overtighten the knob. Overtightening the knob can restrict the latch from opening and closing easily.)
Category D: Removable stems
Some models cannot fold, but they do have stems that can be removed to make them easier to store. To remove the stem, press the stem release button and simultaneously lift the stem out of the scooter base. Here are the Jetsons with removable stems and the location of each one’s stem release button.
- Gleam– Front side of the scooter at the base of the stem
- Lumi – On the stem above the deck
- Mist – On the underside of the deck at the base of the stem